Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I am one TIRED mom!

I think the lesson about "being tired all the time" needs to go on the list of things your mother never told you before you gave birth. I don't know if my mother just made it look easy but I have to say growing up I never noticed that she was exhausted or running on few hours of sleep while she made meals, worked, ran us to all our activities, picked up my dad's dry cleaning and ran our house. She made it look effortless.

But me...I am exhausted. I average about 5 hours of sleep a night. After long hours at work, grocery shopping, reading through all the school papers, cooking, cleaning, laundry, doctor appointments and general house management...I'M TIRED! My husband always says...if you're so tired why do you want more children? Because I love children. I'd love a big family. You mean it doesn't make sense to him that I'd be happy being EXHAUSTED for the rest of my life to have a large loving family?

Hey...all my other friends with children and busy lives are tired too.

I think what's really interesting is that men don't seem to be tired at all. They have time to read the paper, magazines, and watch a Netflix every other night. I haven't read a book in months.

But when it all comes down to it...I wouldn't change a thing. Well maybe. My husband could take out the trash without me hounding him and step up to cook sometimes, but beside that-- I'll take tired over anything else. Because tired means I'm cooking for a family that loves me dearly. Tired means I'm running my son to the doctor and cuddling him after a painful shot. Tired means I'm working to earn a living that allows my family to rent a beach house for the summer. Tired means I'm staying up late to go through my son's school papers to make sure he learning with love.

So no...I didn't see it coming-- this mommy exhaustion and "to do" lists that never end. But...it's okay with me.

Signed,

Needing a Nap

No comments: